St. Michael's Priory, The Well, Newport Rd, Willen, Milton Keynes, MK15 9AATel: 01908 242190 Email: bookings@stmichaelspriory.org.uk

Formerly The Well at Willen

  • Facebook

Library history

There has been a library on this site since 1680, when Robert Hooke rebuilt Willen Church for Richard Busby, headmaster of Westminster School.

Part of Dr Busby’s theological collection was housed here until it was destroyed by fire in 1947.

In 1973, the Society of the Sacred Mission acquired the site and brought to Willen a sizable part of their library from Kelham Theological College. Society of the Sacred Mission brothers living and working at Willen continued to maintain and develop the library.

Additions to the library

The Ecumenical Spirituality Project, at the invitation of the Society of the Sacred Mission, relocated from Farncombe to Willen in 1994, bringing their ecumenical library with them.

They subsequently joined with the Fellowship of Prayer to form the Living Spirituality Network, and the Living Spirituality Network added books and periodicals focusing on spirituality.

The Society of the Sacred Mission and Living Spirituality Network collections existed side by side until 2006, when The Willen Library project began and a librarian was appointed.

The two collections have now been amalgamated and catalogued, and books can be searched for via our online catalogue.

 

library_portrait

Portrait of Richard Busby

library_more_people

The library was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Oxford, the Rt. Rev. John Pritchard in 2007.